October 02, 2009

Giving Birth To Ideas

OK, I know, I am a man and I have never experienced actual giving birth. Let's not go there ladys. But I have been through three with my wife.  I do know enough to recognize that bringing life to a new idea (for yourself or maybe the whole world) is somewhat like giving birth.  There are the initial labor pains that can start even weeks before and then they intensify and become more frequent and finally there is the very painful delivery.  I know.  After three kids, I told my wife, Joyce, I couldn't take it
 again!

Giving birth to an idea/paradigm shift has similarities.  It takes time and it is a painful process.  Here is a great interview with Michael Gerber, author of the E-Myth which gave him a 30 year career of helping small business entrepreneurs. And in those years he recognized that almost all small businesses eventually fail and he wasn't sure why. In the interview he describes the events of his life and the giving of birth to an idea that has sent him on a new and more exciting path.  I have included links to the interview here and I highly recommend them for your viewing.  I'd like to hear what you think.

Michael Gerber Interview

 Part 1


Part 2


Part 3

The King